Toilet training with special needs kids can be a lot of work! Explaining the skills and the strategies to go from pre-training to using the public toilet takes time. So does e-mailing online information or writing a detailed note in a communication book. Make life easier with this set of 15 colorful, easy-to-understand set of Special Needs Toilet Training Handouts.
Written by CathyAnn Collyer, OTR, LMT, they work equally well as individual handouts or as part of a larger packet in a training program. Increase professional visibility in your facility and show clinical expertise while saving your precious time for direct treatment!
The 16 page PDF document will be available electronically immediately following payment.
Here are some of the ways to use this pack in your clinical practice:
- Start the toilet training “conversation” with parents and teachers.
- Laminate a handout for posting in classroom lavatories.
- Assemble a take-home packet after parent meetings.
- Optimize treatment carryover by circling issues to address and techniques to try.
- Professional handouts demonstrate your ADL expertise in a team meeting or facility in-service.
- Add them to your department orientation for student therapists, new grads, or providers transitioning from another specialty into pediatrics.
Table of Contents for the Special Needs Toilet Training Handouts:
- Top Ten Myths About Special Needs Toilet Training
- Pre-Training Basics
- Turn Passive Diapering into Targeted Pre-Training
- Toilet Training Readiness: Physical Skills
- Toilet Training Readiness: Cognitive/Communication Skills
- Toilet Training Readiness: Social/Emotional Skills
- Toilet Training Readiness: Sensory Skills
- Toilet Training Readiness: Parent/Caregiver Readiness
- Selecting the Right Equipment for Toilet Training
- Building Clothing Management for Toilet Training
- Gradual Toilet Training Versus “Boot Camp” Training
- 10 Strategies to Teach Wiping After Toilet Use
- Managing Fecal Smearing: Child/Adolescent Interventions
- Managing Fecal Smearing: Parent Interventions
- Teaching Kids to Use the Public Toilet
The Practical Guide to Toilet Training the Autistic Child
View all of the resources created by CathyAnn Collyer, OTR, LMT