Raise the Roof 3rd Through 5th Grade Refinement HWT Style Font
School-based Occupational Therapist, Thia Triggs, created Raise the Roof 3rd Through 5th Grade Refinement ideally for 3rd through 5th grade students, especially those who are not learning cursive. This book could also be used as a differentiation tool for second-grade students who have solid basic skills, or for fifth-graders who still struggle with automaticity of handwriting.
Teach children to:
• Transition from 3-lined primary paper to standard two-line notebook paper.
• Learn several subtleties of mature handwriting including Raise the Roof, which means writing small enough within lines that the ‘tall letters do not bump their heads’ on the top line.
• Increase the speed of legible automatic printing with the use of a periodic alphabet race activity and charting tool.
• Use the principles of the three spaces of writing to write legibly in open spaces without lines.
• Review correct lowercase letter formations within the four letter groupings, with an emphasis on correct top-to-bottom letter formation.
• Practice the use of a conventions checklist. This checklist is especially useful for those children who need greater support to maintain legibility in their daily writing after they have finished Raise the Roof instruction.
Why does Raise the Roof work so well?
• Writing prompts are incorporated between lessons to help students generalize skills rather than just practice copying skills.
• Fun cartoon characters give handwriting tips and prompt students to self-check their work.
• Children also learn to self-check through the gradual introduction of a checklist.
• Children are motivated to improve their scores through the use of a self-charting, progress-monitor system.
* Raise the Roof, 35-page workbook. Raise the Roof is ideal for third- and fourth-grade students, especially those who are not learning cursive. This book could also be used as a differentiation tool for second-grade students who have solid basic skills, or for fifth-graders who still struggle with automaticity of handwriting.
* Path of Movement Language.
* Lowercase Group Formation posters.
* About Raise the Roof teacher’s guide.
Get discount pricing when you order the Handwriting MegaBundle (which includes Raise the Roof) created by Thia Triggs, OTR.