Handwriting Readiness – Making Capital Letters with Lines and Curves: this digital download created by school-based Occupational Therapist, Thia Triggs, includes 15 Literacy Centers with a focus on readiness skills for identifying and constructing letters, differentiated literacy and phonics centers.
The 15 activities are ordered by level of difficulty for building skills of:
• Initial sound recognition,
• Upper and lowercase letter identification,
• Sound and letter association,
• Alphabetic awareness,
• Executive functioning & organizational skills,
• Fine motor skills with wide cutting lines.
Before children can write they can put together puzzles. Constructing capital letters with lines and curves is an effective readiness skill for writing, is a fun activity, and a powerful teaching tool. Children love to play with these pattern pieces and will find many creative uses. The hours they spend creating will help develop the fine motor and perceptual reasoning skills that are needed for reading and writing.
• Step one: Place lines and curves on the Set A Puzzle-Cards to construct letters.
• Step two: Children place lines and curves on the large blank line cards to make their own letters, names, and words.
• Step three: Finger-trace puzzle-cards to make correct formations by starting at the top Go-Dot.
• Step four: As children learn to write the puzzle-cards make great formation guides.
• 13 additional literacy, phonics, and fine motor centers.
These are appropriate for children 4-5 years old, and emphasize literacy reading and writing readiness skills. Each task is clearly detailed with picture examples and specific pages needed for the activity. Separate files for color or black and white are provided. Puzzle cards can also be laminated and used as play-doh mats. All borders are ¼ inch (adjust printer settings if needed) all files are pdf, zipped.
Included in this PDF:
* Puzzle-cards with and without associated picture sound cue.
* Pattern and cutting guides for big and little lines and curves. The size of these lines and curves allows for multiple children to work at one table center.
* Teacher’s Guide: directions and printables for a total of 15 Pre-K literacy centers.
- Very cool way to help children learn to form letters correctly.
- Absolutely awesome, thanks!!!
- Looking forward to using this in my OT sessions!
- Great resource. I am planning to start the year with these in some centers!
- Very cute and helpful!!
Get discount pricing when you order the Handwriting MegaBundle (which includes the Handwriting Readiness packet) created by Thia Triggs, OTR.