The Handwriting Book is designed to be an effective, easy-to-use resource for any parent, educator, or therapist. Ideas for activities, strategies, modifications, and adaptations for children of all ages are included alongside explanations of each aspect of handwriting. Each chapter includes helpful therapist tips to make handwriting practice more engaging and fun.
The Handwriting Book is a 62 page PDF digital document. It will be delivered electronically immediately following payment.
Handwriting is a complex motor skill that requires dexterity, strength, motor planning, and visual perceptual skills. Other developmental prerequisites such as hand dominance, grasping skills, postural control, and letter recognition also play an important role in how a child learns to write.
Written by a team of 10 pediatric physical and occupational therapists with years of experience in the field, The Handwriting Book is the ultimate resource for tips, strategies, suggestions, and information to support handwriting development in kids.
The 9 chapters include the following topics:
- Developmental Progression of Pencil Grasp and Handwriting Strokes
- Gross Motor Skills and Handwriting
- Fine Motor Skills and Handwriting
- Sensory Considerations in Handwriting
- Visual Perceptual Skills and Handwriting
- Tips for Size, Alignment, and Spacing in Written Work
- Engaging the Reluctant Writer
- Combining Handwriting and Play and Activities to Practice Handwriting Skills at Home
- Resources for Adaptive Handwriting and Equipment, Materials, and Further Information.
Check out more handwriting resources for children: